Happy OPAL October #FashionFriday!! Today we are going to focus on one (come on, it’s so hard to choose just one!) of my ALL TIME faaaaaavourite gemstones, the October birthstone, OPAL!
Opal is also one of my favourite topics to blog about, particularly because of its long history of fascinating humans, ripe with “superstitious” folklore. Of course it is up to the individual to subscribe (or not) to any of these “superstitions”, but here are a few of my favourite Opal beliefs:
– White Opals are unlucky, unless worn by someone born in October. (Opal is the October birthstone.)
– Black Opals are extremely lucky.
– Opals are unlucky if used as an engagement ring.
– Opal engagement rings are the luckiest in securing a long, happy marriage, if presented to a person born in October.
– Caesars gave Opals to their wives for good luck.
– In ancient times they were believed to have fallen from the sky in flashes of lightning, thus infusing them with their majestic flashes of colour.
– If the owner dies, the colour in the opal will fade.
– Opals will make you invisible.
– Opals will turn pale if there is poison present.
– Opals symbolize hope & creativity, and are thought to bring the wearer happiness & beauty.
– Opals were once feared as they were thought to resemble the “evil eye”.
– Opal miners report living long & prosperous lives.
…..Personally I like to think of Opals as one of the luckiest gemstones! With an ENTIRE RAINBOW stuffed into a stunning little stone, how can you not think of magic & good luck!?!
Now let’s get started with this week’s #FashionFridayFive!
This stunning opal & yellow gold bracelet is currently one of the featured pieces in our Consignment Sale!